Why am i still suffering from Pneumonia inspite of taking antibiotics?

I was diagnosed with pleurisy last Saturday night at the emergency room. I believe it is a result of pneumonia I've had for the last month. It is on my left side. I followed up Tuesday with my family doctor, who confirmed the diagnosis. He treated me with antibiotics, two types of cough medication and pain medication. I am taking all as directed but don't seem to be improving. Along with the original pain, today the pain moved further down my rib cage and to my back, upper left side. I don't have a follow up appointment until Wednesday. What advice can you give me?
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be a muscular pain. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The infection that you have in your lung lining takes at least 4-5 days to show an improvement. Such infections can be due to a viral infection and taking inhaled steroids in the form of an inhaler may work very well. The pain that you have in the rib cage and back is likely to be a muscular pain that can be associated with the difficulty in breathing. Doing a hot fomentation and taking a regular steam inhalation might help in improving the symptoms. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to open the airways. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot. Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths also help a lot. If you have fever or the cough is worsening then it is advisable to get an X-ray chest done and get your treatment revised from your physician. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL