Why am I unable to sleep due to dry cough with sharp pain in my windpipe?

Question
I have a sporadic, mostly dry cough that causes a degree of sharp pain in my windpipe and thoracic region. The pain is also present somewhat when breathing but more of an ache in nature. I've had chills, loss of appetite, general fatigue, possible fever, elevated pulse/possibly BP. I took a warm shower which helped the aching discomfort for a time symptoms manifested yesterday. Could not sleep
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Lohit K 4 hours later
Brief Answer: ANTI INFLAMMATORY DRUG.GARGLE..EXAMINATION. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for using XXXXXXX I went through the query and understood your concern. The pain in wind pipe and chest region along with fever, raised pulse rate, fatigue, loss of appetite suggests infection with dehydration.This needs to be treated with anti inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen or aceclofenac and antibiotic may be required. But your symptom of sporadic cough may be dur to gastric reflux or due to allergy. This needs to be evaluated. For now you need to take anti inflammatory drugs with proton pump inhibitor like pantoprazole with antiemetic like domperidone and plenty of oral fluids. Salt warm water gargle will help you. Consult your doctor once for examination and if any bacterial infection you require antibiotic treatment. I hope these information helps you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to help you. Wish you good health. Regards

Follow-up: Why am I unable to sleep due to dry cough with sharp pain in my windpipe? 1 hour later
I also have pain in my middle back not only during the occasional cough but it has been a continual ache. a warm shower seemed to alleviate the ache. Again these symptoms appeared yesterday. also the cough has yielded very small amounts of mucous a few times. It is not completely dry. And the pain in the windpipe is in my chest region mostly during a cough. Thank you for your input.

Answered by Dr. Lohit K 5 hours later
Brief Answer: pantoprazole & antiemetic.NSAID, muscle relaxant Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the followup question. Pain in windpipe in chest region (sub sternal pain) and pain in my middle back may be due to acid peptic disease. The small amount of mucous a few time with dry cough may be due to reflux pharyngitis and the sub sternal pain may be reflux esophagitis. Since the pain is relieved after warm shower the diagnosis points towards musculo skeletal pain. So with these symptoms I advice you to take proton pump inhibitor like pantoprazole with antiemetic like domperidone and plenty of oral fluids, more frequent food of small quantity. This may relieve your symptoms. Along with this a NSAID with muscle relaxant one tab before bed for pain. This may relieve all your symptoms. So consult your doctor once for examination for right diagnosis as explained. Hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask if any query. Wish you faster recovery and good health. Regards