Why am I unable to open my mouth completely ?

ENT Specialist
i am eating gutkha from past 10 yrs now. Till date everything was going fine. but now from past few days i am unable to open my mouth completely and unable to have food. please do the needful. I don't want to waste my life in this stupid problem please.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 35 minutes later
Dear Mohitvalshi,

Thank you for your query.

1. You may have developed OSMF (Oral Sub Mucous Fibrosis) which is mostly found in Indians, especially after long term use of gutkha, betel nut, mishri, and tobacco.

2. Irreversible fibrosis (scarring) develops just under the mucosa (lining of the oral cavity) and appears white instead of the normal pink color.

3. Intolerance to spicy food, dryness of mouth and frequent oral ulceration are common complaints. In advanced stages mouth opening is restricted. Normal mouth opening is three and a half fingers held vertically between the jaws. Since you cannot open your mouth at all, you should seek immediate help. Nutritional deficiencies will develop from lack of adequate food intake.

4. This condition may also be pre cancerous and requires regular follow up.

5. Initially Kenacort (triamcinolone) intra-oral injections in the retromolar trigone area (behind the molar teeth) weekly for six weeks may give some relief. Supportive medication is also given under medical supervision.

6. If there is still no improvement in mouth opening, you will require laser assisted surgery or z-plasty to release the deeper fibrosis which is preventing you from opening your mouth.

Since you are in Pune, I am available for direct consultation too. You can call me through XXXXXXX if you wish to take a direct opinion.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.