Why am I unable to eat when suffering from hiatal hernia?

I have a hiatal hernia and it became worse earlier in the week, toughness breathing and dizziness. felt pressure in the chest. it has gone down a litle though, but can still barely eat and can barely poop. I don't want to strain. is this other organ issues?
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes. May be from Heart, ECG,ECHO, Treadmill. Surge Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Yes. You have to rule out any coronary heart disease. Because you are experiencing the typical symptoms of heart disease like Pressure in the chest, Breathing difficulty, Dizziness. But as you have Hiatal Hernia, some times stomach may push on the diaphragm or compress the lungs contributing to a sensation of shortness of breath. But any way it is better to rule out any heart disease. If you are my patient, i will take a brief history and examine you. Then i would refer you for Electrocardiogram, Echocardiogram and Tredmill stress test and Pulmonary function tests and X-Ray chest If all the investigations pertaining to heart and lungs are normal, then i would refer you to Gatroenterologist for Hernia repair. Every symptomatic Hiatal Hernia should be repaired by surgery . Because Hiatal hernia are at risk of Constriction and Strangulation. Till you finish these investigation and treatment, Please take bland diet, drink plenty of water, Take Proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole to control the symptoms. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.