Why am I unable to bend my index finger due to swelling and pain?

Hi...I have a swelling and pain at the middle of my left index finger since this morning. I am not able to bend my left index finger.
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: ice packs locally will help Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, It seems like a spasm of the muscle in the left index finger. Please apply ice packs every 2 to 3 hours locally. I prescribe my patients a 2 to 3 days course of Tablet Combiflam thrice daily after food. This will take care of the swelling and the pain. You can also use Volini ointment or spray on your finger for relief of pain. Try to rest your hand as much as possible. It should be gone in a couple of days. Get well soon.
Follow-up: Why am I unable to bend my index finger due to swelling and pain? 9 minutes later
Thanks Doctor. There is no need for further investigation like an Xray or anything? This pain is very local to the joint in the middle of the finger. I dont have any pain either on top or at the bottom of the finger. Just in the middle joint along with the swelling.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer: wait and watch Detailed Answer: Hello, Please try the above measures that I have suggested. Ideally, you do not require further investigation for this. It should subside in a few days. If symptoms persists even after a week, then you may go for a x-ray of the affected joint. regards,