Why am I unable to achieve orgasm?

Mar 2016

recently I am nnot able to achieve an orgasim. Everything feels really good and I am very excited, but I just don't have an orgasim.
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

According to your history, you are unable to achieve or maintain orgasm being more excited which is called anorgasmia in medical term. It is one type of sexual dysfunction & more common in female. About 15% of women face difficulties with orgasm in the United States.

There are several underlying causative factors in association with anorgasmia. These include
1) Psychological causes/ stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset.
2) Pelvic trauma/ infection/ history of pelvic surgery/ vaginal dryness (more common).
3) Hormonal imbalance with deprivation of estrogen as you are in perimenopausal age gr (mostly suggestive in your case).
4) Use of certain medication or neurological causes associated with reduce sensitivity to clitoris.

Therefore, I suggest you to consult with gynecologist/ sexologist for suggestive measures through complete physical examination including pelvic exam ( with or without speculum) and some initial investigations like blood test for estrogen & progesterone level, prolactin level, thyroid profile, blood sugar, vaginal swab test & urine examination- routine & microscopy. Complete treatment can only be done on pin point diagnosis or after ruled out causative factors.

The following measures are helpful in achieving orgasm:

1) Need complete body fitness- by the means of taking healthy diet with consuming more vegetables & fruits, drink more water to stay hydrated, regular physical exercise through running/ jogging/ treadmill etc.
2) Try to avoid stress/ tension/ anxiety by regular yoga/ XXXXXXX breathing exercise (20-30 at a times).
3) Keep more time on foreplay with your partner and give time to arouse yourself more & more before actual vaginal penetration or partner's ejaculation.
4) Specific treatment- by means of hormonal patches (estradiol) or medication to correct other hormonal imbalances, using clitoral vacuum pump devices or vibrator and drugs to improve blood flow/ sexual sensation/ arousal. In recent study, drugs like sildenafil/ vardenafil (though used in men) are quite useful in the reversal of female sexual dysfunction. Also you need to treat other underlying causes.
5) Vaginal dryness can be treated with water based lubrication/ jelly/ estradiol cream etc.
6) Maintain genital hygiene properly and need adequate sleeping with complete relaxation. Avoid using unnecessary medication.

Hope, I have answered your query and above information is very much useful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Be well & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Why am I unable to achieve orgasm? 1 hour later
does it mean anything that I can not achieve an orgasim even through oral sex. This is a very recent issue, it just started a few days ago, prior to that I had no problems achieving an orgasm. Everything feels as fantastic as it always did, the only thing that has changed is that I don't have an orgasim.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 19 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Yes, you can get orgasm through oral sex. As you are unable to achieve orgasm recently, then firstly I suggest you to follow my suggestive measures (described in previous reply) to achieve orgasm. If you fail to reach orgasm persistently in spite of those, then you should consult with sexologist/ gynecologist for proper physical examination & investigation with suggestive medication.

Don't be much worried. Keep up new spirit with good faith. Healthy life style is quite useful in achieving orgasm with complete relaxation in bedroom.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen