Why am I suffering with a swollen stomach and pain between joint of leg and groin area?

General Surgeon
Question

I am suffering with a swollen stomach, that swells to make me look like I am 6 months pregnant, I am not constipated as have been to the toilet, but it is still swollen, it makes me feel sick, but I can't eat loads, as I also get acid reflux and burp a lot. I am also suffering with a pain in between the joint of my leg and groin, that hurts when I walk, this is my right leg and also on my left leg I have pain on my knee when I walk. I am 39 years old, female, smoker, I have also lost a stone in weight over the last few months, just realised today, as I weighed myself, but i haven't been dieting. I get pain from my stomach just under my rib cage, that is where it is swollen from.
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Your so called abdominal swelling might be an accumulation of the fluid in abdominal cavity. Adding stomach ache and inadvertent lost of weight makes it cancer suspicious. You definitely should have abdominal ultrasound, fool blood tests with liver and pancreas tests, urine tests. Upper GI endoscopy might be necessary. Pleas do not wait and get this tests as soon as possible. There can be others reasons of your sufferings, but you should rule out cancer first.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Why am I suffering with a swollen stomach and pain between joint of leg and groin area? 12 hours later

Could this also be the cause of the pain in my groin as well?

Thanks
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

As mentioned before, your symptoms may be caused by something else. Groin pain can be caused by inguinal hernia, urinary tract infection/stones. It can be also caused by a cancer. So please do as advised earlier. If you will have cancer ruled out, you can think about any others diseases.

Regards.