Why am I startled when woken up in the morning? Have vivid dreams

Nov 2013

Why am I startled and jump when my husband or kids wake me uP in the morning by simply saying my name? Although I have had very life like vivid dreams in the past, I don't normally even dream at all. Not that I can recall anyway.
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
Startle is a normal response in response to a sudden noise. This is normal in very young children and even in adults upto a certain extent. These startles are seen maximum while falling asleep or while getting up (as in your case). In your case, as I understand, this response seems to have got exaggerated.
Some of the reasons for exaggerated startle could be less amount of sleep or unrefreshing sleep. Underlying mild anxiety could also be responsible.
However, there is no need to worry at present.
Hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any further queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad