Why am I scratching my ear frequently with little finger?
User rating for this question
I find myself sticking my little finger in my ear to 'scratch' the itch. The itch subsides when I twist the fingert back and forth....but soon returns.
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. Scratching the ear with the little finger frequently leads to small abrasions since the skin is very delicate. These minor scratches also itch while healing, setting up a vicious cycle of itching, scratching, itching and so on. 2. This is in addition to any ear wax, ear inflammation / infection (sometimes fungal) or referred sensations as the ear is supplied sensation from many nerves which also go on to supply a vast area from the head, neck, chest and upper abdomen. 3. Get an ear examination to rule out a local cause and a general examination. Dental & gum problems, throat irritation, allergies and gastritis are leading causes for a referred itching sensation in the ears. 4. Medication includes anti-allergic s to reduce itching, local drops or ointments, anti-reflux medication and treatment of the underlying cause. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them. Regards.
People also viewed
- Daily headaches and random nosebleeds
- Daily diet chart in age 22 years
- Baby scratching ears syndrome
- Cut with pink watery drainage
- Scratches in babies ears
- Does excess coughing cause neck soreness
- Gynest cream cause sore throat
- Ear pain and little blood from ear
- Scratched the inside of my ear
- Can crestor cause swollen tongue
- Dangers of drinking in melted plastic bottles
- What could be causing irritation in mouth
- Why am i scratching my ear frequently with little finger
- Dark brown sticky period blood
- Cpap causing foamy mouth