Why am I hearing pulsating sound while changing eye direction?

Sep 2012

I hear a sound of two or three pulses in my head when I change my eye direction
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 6 hours later
Thank you for posting a question.
Firstly, the symptoms you described are totally different from your history of surgery, wound infection.
Hearing this type of 2 or 3 pulses indicates a possibility of being a pulsatile tinnitus. It is an objective tinnitus. In this condition person hear a sound mainly with every pulse. It may occur some time or for prolonged time. It is usually objective in nature mainly occur due to altered blood flow or increased blood turbulence.
Cause of this condition includes
1. Atherosclerosis
2. Venous hum.
3. Increased awareness of a person about his own pulsation.
4. Rare conditions like carotid artery aneurysm, Vasculitis - specially giant cell arteritis, idiopathic intracranial hypertension.
But one condition named Superior canal dehisecence syndrome occurs due to thinning of the temporal bone overlying the vestibular system, presents with balance disorder and this pulsatile tinnitus.
Due to disorder of balance mechanism, when you move your eyes there is presence of pulsatile tinnitus. This condition matches with your condition. This is a very rare condition occurs due to either slow erosion of bone or congenital abnormality. There are some other features . So, it is just a possibility. Not a definite diagnosis.
For this you have to consult with a neurologist for a thorough clinical examination and for ordering the investigations like CT Scan and others and also for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.