Why am I hearing my heart beats in my ear when suffering from hereditary hearing loss and peripheral artery disease?

I've had tinnitis for 3-4 years, Also have PAD. Saw ENT and audiology test showed hereditary hearing loss which runs in my family. Last two weeks I hear my heart pulsateiny in my ear when it's quiet or if I yawn. Any suggestions?
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Rule out any Carotid artery disease and Hypertensi Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. It is nothing but a Pulsatile Tinnitus. Pulsatile tinnitus is a rhythmic thumping or whooshing only you can hear, often in time with your heartbeat. As you have the family history of Hereditary Hearing Loss and Tinnitus, You may have the Pulsatile tinnitus. Apart from this, Pulsatile tinnitus may also seen in Carotid artery disease, Hypertension and Blood vessel disorders. Thus better rule out any of these condition. 1.In Carotid artery disease, The accumulation of fatty buildup (plaque) inside the carotid arteries can create turbulent blood flow. This can cause a pulsating sound. This can be ruled out by Carotid doppler and ultrasound test 2. In Hypertension, When blood pressure is high, blood flow through the carotid artery is more likely to be turbulent. That turbulence generates the pulsatile tinnitus. Please check your blood pressure to rule out hypertension. 3. In Blood vessel disorders, there is a abnormal connection between an artery and vein, twisted arteries, or a benign blood vessel tumor behind the eardrum. If all carotids and blood pressure are normal, then it might due to Familial Hereditary Hearing loss and tinnitus. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.