Why am I having unbearable anxiety and depression while taking Lexapro?

I have slight depression and bad anxiety (never had it before) started with menopause - and I have been in menopause about 2 years. My mom died of breast cancer at 72 so have been scared to go on HRT (she was on it forever) Today Idecided to talk to my gyno because my quality of life is not good. so I am now taking my first jintelli 1mg-5mcg and am hopefull I will feel like my old self. I have been taking clonopine once in a while when the anxiety is unbearable. I tried Lexapro and after the first pill felt so anxiousI thought I was going to die and stopped. So do you think this HRT may help. My doctor said in 90% of his patients it has. Also tody my TSH throid is 4 and he prescribed a throid medication to help with my depressed mood
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is helpful Detailed Answer: Hello I understand your concern, many patients of mine go through the same. If suggest them to go through with hormone replacement therapy for a short while after weighing the risks and benefits. In your case the depression and anxiety part should settle down significantly with HRT. However I do not agree with your doctor on putting you on Thyroxine as 4 is sub clinical hypothyroidism and does not require treatment, you might want to take another opinion about that. Thyroxine might increase anxiety. I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health Regards
Follow-up: Why am I having unbearable anxiety and depression while taking Lexapro? 19 minutes later
levothyroxine may cause anxiety? He said that the new guidelines for tsh were 3 was the high end?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Starting treatment not dependant on tsh Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the reply Treatment of hypothyroidism is based on clinical findings and not completely based on the numbers. For example if the tsh is 3 and patient is obese, has low pulse, lethargic then we start treatment if the patient is asymptomatic then we don't. Also I would like to add here that only tsh is not taken as a marker of Hypothyrodism we consider free t3 and free t4 as well especially in borderline cases. Thyroxine is known to cause increase in heart rate, palpitations, increased sweating and anxiety in some people. Please take a second opinion or approach your physician with suggestion of free t 3 and free t4. Please do not take a clinical decision without approaching a doctor in person I hope I was of help regards