Why am I having swollen upper lip with headache in left temple?

I have had a pounding left temple headache off and on for a couple of days. when i woke up yesterday morning i had a slight feeling of a swollen upper lip. i just woke up at 2am with the same symptoms.
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It needs evaluation in a 69 yr old. Detailed Answer: Hi A left temporal headache when it is pounding should be called for further investigations in a 69 year old man. This is because the chances of blood leak is high in this age group and many a time the leak would present in this way as you have. I do not intend to scare you but this is how I practice. After regular physical examination and recording vitals I suggest you to get MRI of the brain. The next would be Xray of the cervical spine to test for cervical spondylosis. If all of the above are normal and the blood pressure are within normal limits I would start with migraine and anxiety therapy. Ask for a follow up after one month. Hope this sounds helpful.