Why am I having swollen labia minora. What can I do for this?

I have a swollen labia minora...can you tell me why & what I can do for this?
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 42 minutes later
I would be happy to help you with your question.

You have two risk factors for vaginal infections:

2. Type 2 DM
3. Recent antibiotics

The most common cause of a vaginal infection in the setting of these risk factors is a yeast infection. This is not always related to a discharge with itching and burning. It can also be associated with red inflamed labia, even more on one side than the other. Other causes might include:

1. Injury from intercourse, scratching etc.
2. Inflammation of a gland within the skin around the vagina (next best thing would be to start an over-the-counter yeast cream applied twice daily and then see someone as soon as you can if it is not getting better.

I hope this helps! Let me know!! - DR XXXXXXX