Why am I having severe pain and swelling on leg?

Sep 2012

HI.. I am 31 yrs old woman and i have severe pain in my leg (maybe calf and the back of left knee)..I feel the pain when I get up from sitting for even 10-15min. Its very severe now and my left leg looks swollen. Today I had pain in my knee and back as well...please advice
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 17 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

First of all, you are really overweight. You should reduce your weight.

Now, your knee pain. It can occur from many causes. Most commonly arthritis is the cause. In your case, it may be a cause, as you are overweight. As a woman of this age group you have high chance of developing early arthritic changes.

But, the problem is your description of present symptoms. A calf and knee pain with swelling of leg is indicative of XXXXXXX vein thrombosis. Your age, weight, are all in favour of this condition.

So, right now, you need a thorough clinical examination of that particular area. Presence of swelling if seen should be noted. Temperature, color of the skin, any skin changes should be noted carefully.

After that, if the condition is suspected to be of early XXXXXXX vein thrombosis, immediate color doppler study should be done and prophylactic anticoagulation therapy with low molecular weight heparin should be started.

If clinical examination indicates that the condition may be due to arthritic changes, a X-ray should be considered. In that case, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents like aceclofenac can be taken and you should consult with orthopedic surgeon for further management. You can take a calcium supplement regularly to prevent osteoposrosis.

Lastly, you first consult with your treating doctor or family physician for clinical examination. Do not neglect it.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more questions.