Why am I having severe pain and burning sensation at hair roots?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
i have severe pain and burning sensation at my hair roots it feels as if someone is pulling my hair out and my hair is thinning my scalp feels swollen as well and itchy but there is no redness on my scalp it hurts just to brush or move my hair
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later
Considering the details you have provided you are most probably suffering from trichodynia or burning scalp syndrome .Trichodynia is a condition where the patient experiences a painful sensation on their scalp. The pain sometimes is described as burning. Trichodynia often is associated with hair loss, and sometimes there is an underlying psycho-somatic cause, such as stress, depression or anxiety..
Though the presence of itching and hair loss can also be seen in other problems of scalp like infection or cellulitis etc
The best way to confirm the diagnosis and start appropriate treatment is to get yourself evaluated by a dermatologist .
If the doctor confirms infection then he might prescribe a course of antifungal or antibiotics and antiinflammatory analgesics like acetaminophen for the pain.
If burning scalp syndrome is suspected then he might give a trial of tricyclic antidepressant class of drugs which help in treatment of such scalp pain.
Other treatments for burning scalp syndrome include corticosteroids, capsaicin, anesthetic agents and gentle shampooing.
Make sure you have a balanced diet and plenty of water and adopt a healthyifestyle .
Please do not worry but do not neglect your symptom and do get evaluated as further delay might worsen the condition.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Follow-up: Why am I having severe pain and burning sensation at hair roots? 12 hours later
i also didnt realise that i didnt tell you that sometimes i experience dizzyness like you get when you just come of a fairground ride it only lasts for a few minutes then goes away
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
In that case you need to get yourself evaluated for the Systemic causes of such symptoms like a neurological or vascular ( arteritis ) or migraine which can cause scalp pain as well as dizziness .
You also need to evaluate your vitamin B levels which often cause burning or other painful neuropathy and can cause dizziness weakness etc.
In any case your doctor does need to physically examine you ( scalp , blood pressure , neurological examination etc) before coming to any conclusion .
The treatment would depend on the diagnosis .
Hope I have answered your query .