Why am I having severe eye pain and blurry vision after taking amitriptyline?

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
am on 25mg amitriptyline and am experiencing severe eye pain feeling of glass or sand in my eyes and blurry vision I also have fibrmyalgia and a hyperthyroid problem can amitrip be the caused XXXX
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, it can but very rarely. Detailed Answer: Hi I would like to know since when are you taking Amitryptiline? Are the symptoms in one eye or both eyes? Your problem can be caused by amitryptiline but this is very rare. Since this is a problem related to your most vital organ I would advise you to consult an Ophthalmic (EYE ) Surgeon as soon as possible to get a proper diagnosis and treatment. Regards,
Follow-up: Why am I having severe eye pain and blurry vision after taking amitriptyline? 1 hour later
I take the following meds gabapentin 300 mg 3x's daily (usually skip afternoon too woozy) apo-zopiclone 7.5 1 1/2 pills pm tapazole for thyroid 5mg am amitriptyline 25 mg pm nighttime meds are taken 15 minutes prior to sleep at 11pm pain is in both eyes on amitriptyline for a year did not go to an opthamologist but optometrist said that my eyes were just dry
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please visit ophthalmologist. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your feedback. Optometrist can not be an alternative as in-depth diagnosis and treatment is possible by an Ophthalmologist only. In the meantime stop amitryptiline. What are you taking for eye problem since you have been seen by optometrist. Regards,