Why am I having severe abdominal pain?

General Surgeon
My stomach is cramping and tightening really bad at the top and I'm getting really hot and sweaty especially when it happens. It's been happening all night. I could barely sleep and I can barely walk. I thought it was just my period because I am on my period but I know what a period cramp feels like and this is most definitely not period related. My head was hurting but it stopped, its just the cramping now and its bad and its at the top of my stomach sometimes I can feel it all over and in my lower back. Its hurting so bad its bringing me to tears and nothing is helping. I thought it was gas or maybe I needed to go to the bathroom but that's not the case either because ive had both of those and neither relieved the pain. PLEASE HELP.
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 35 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such abdominal pain can be caused by several conditions including gallstones, acute pancreatitis, peptic ulcer, digestive tract perforation, bowels obstruction, urinary tract stones.
As abdominal pain is quite nonspecific symptom I`m kindly asking you to provide following information:
1. Do you have any nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, blood in stool, mucus in stool.
2. When did you have your last stool. Are you able to excrete gases freely.
3. Does it burn when urinating? Do you urinate more often than usually?
4. Please push your abdomen in the right lower area, right upper area, left lower area, left upper area, upper middle area and let me know where is the pain located.
5. In the place where the pain is please push gently your abdomen and rapidly release the hand. Does it hurt more when releasing?
6. Put your left hand on the lower right ribs (where the ribs meats the abdomen) and knock your right right hand into left one. Does it hurt?
7. Knock your upper left and right back (in the area where kidneys are located). Does it hurt?
8. Take a look at your abdomen and see if it is bigger than usually, bloated?

In a meantime you can take a hot bath it should ease the pain a little.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Follow-up: Why am I having severe abdominal pain? 8 hours later
Yes, I can urinate and stool just fine and it doesn't hurt or have anything wrong with it. This pain has been happening since last night and finally let up, I took some ibuprofen and thought that might have helped and I took a nap. But I woke up and can still feel it. Last night I thought it was because I hadn't eaten all day except breakfast but that wasn't much either then I finally ate at about midnight and went to sleep shortly after because after eating I "stooled" as you put it and I felt ok but then felt all that pain all through the night. Just before work today it was really unbarable and it was ALL over my stomach and in my lower back. but before it was just at the top just under my breast and then after that.... the rest of the day its just been in one spot. No there isn't anywhere else that hurts except right at the top. yes I look bloated but I am on my period so im assuming that's why. But this pain ive never felt it before I don't feel sick to my stomach or anything and it has nothing to do with my period its just at the top and it feels like its a knot that's cramping and tightening. and it feels better when I push on it, it sort of makes the pain go away but doesn't fully help only a little. It does hurt when I no longer hold there. It hurts so bad its bringing me to tears and normally pain doesn't bring me to tears. but it seems to have let up a bit but now it feels sore like when you have a cramp in your leg at night and then it stops and it feels ok but feels painful and relieved at the same time. kind of like if it were bruised or something. If you catch what I mean. Honestly I have never felt this pain before and I thought it was gas, or that I needed to stool or just because I didn't eat but neither one of those is the case. But it does make me feel sort of sick to eat like when I try to eat I can't eat as much as I usually would or it does make it start hurting and makes me feel a little sick so ive just been nibbling on things today.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 hours later

All this sounds like peptic ulcer or gallstones. I suggest you to have some diagnostics as without it you wont be able to get proper diagnose. You should start with abdominal ultrasound, blood work, liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP), amylase, bilirubin and urine analysis. If no findings, upper GI endoscopy should be performed with Helicobacter Pylori test.
In a meanwhile you should avoid fatty foods, fried foods, alcohol and coffee.

Hope this will help.
Follow-up: Why am I having severe abdominal pain? 1 hour later
Thanks that really helps and I definitely feel better today. Thanks so much and that really helps.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 36 minutes later
You are welcome.