Why am I having rust colored stains on the palms, fingertips and ankle flares during pregnancy?

General Surgeon
I am 3 months pregnant and for the last month, I have had severe, constant itching on my legs, ankles, tops and soles of my feet. Now, I have just noticed "ankle flares" on the insides of both of my ankles and am concerned because I do not know what is happening. Then, this morning, I woke up with rust-colored stains on the palms and fingertips of both hands that do not wash off. I am scheduled to see my physician next week but would like some input from you to educate me on what I should be asking at the appointment. Currently, the only medications I am taking are prenatal vitamins. Please advise as I am very worried.
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Normal Physiological changes of pregnancy Detailed Answer: Greetings of the day Firstly I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you on being pregnant. Going by description given by you what you are experiencing are normal pregnancy symptoms. Aching in legs is due to associated calcium deficiency. 1. I would suggest you to consume 2 glasses of milk everyday, that will provide you with the daily calcium requirements. 2. Also would advise you not to sit out longer period, keeping legs in dependent position for long period of time will aggravate the pain. Preferably keep the legs horizontal while sitting by placing the feet on another chair while sitting. 3. Also do elevate your legs while sleeping by placing a pillow under the leg. Ankle flares are quite common in pregnancy which are over the ankle. They occur due to relaxation of blood vessel wall by progesterone action. They may worsen in 2nd and 3rd trimester by forming varicose veins. The advice given previously will help preventing it too. Also would suggest you to preferential sleep in left lateral position. Hyperpigmentation involving the face and hands is normal pregnancy manifestation known as chloasma. There is no cause for concern. Also would advise you to get your Hemoglobin level checked to rule out anemia. I hope it helped In case you require any further assistance,will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS, MCH
Follow-up: Why am I having rust colored stains on the palms, fingertips and ankle flares during pregnancy? 11 hours later
Thank you for your response, it was helpful, however, I am not having "aching" in my legs and feet, I am having itching...pruritis, and it is driving me crazy. I have to take Benadryl almost everyday to relieve it and I am getting concerned. What advice can you give for that? Thank you in advance.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: coconut oil application Detailed Answer: Namasthe Greetings of the day local application of coconut oil will be very helpful to manage itching. I suggest you not to take Benadryl. Instead Cetrizine can be safely taken for severe itching. I hope it helped In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore