Why am I having recurring fever? Blood test done. Looking for cure

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello Im 22 female have had a fever off and on sense September 2012 my doctor ordered blood work to see whats wrong my sedimentation rate was 60 and my c reactive was 5.5 and my rdw was 17.7 everything els was normal what could be causing this?
Posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

ESR and C-reactive are non-specific tests for assessing a focal area of inflammation in the body.

Increased values means a progressive focus of RA, Lupus, arteritis, auto-immune diseases like multiple myeloma or an infection.

Your increase in these tests indicates some increased activity in the inflammatory focus in your body.
RDW high levels can happen due to a liver problem, iron deficiency anaemia. You need a detailed physical examination to detect the cause of these abnormal results.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Why am I having recurring fever? Blood test done. Looking for cure 9 minutes later
Thank you my last question is my doctor has referred me to an infectious disease doctor because she said she does not know what to do from here is this the right doctor to see with these results? or should I be seeing a different kind of doctor
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The findings are consistent with an inflammatory disorder or an infection. It is best to consult an infectious disease specialist and if no infection is detected then co0nsult a rheumatologist to rule out any autoimmune disorder.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.