Why am I having pain with most of the lower back movements after a fall?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I slipped and fell on Tuesday morning. I fell on my side but it is my back that hurts. My lower back on both sides. Can walk and sit, but bending, getup from a chair ,turning in bed or most movements involving the lower back muscles give me a lot of pain. Tylenol and heat pads help a bit. I am 80 years old. Do I just wait it out, or see a doctor? I live alone and there is a snowstorm outside.
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Strained muscle when stretched gives severe pain. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. The fact that your pain is occuring with movements indicates a muscle strain. Any strained muscle when stretched gives severe pain. I advice you to follow the below mentioned guidelines - * Give adequate rest to the involved muscle group and avoid any movement that causes pain * Ice packing once in every 2 hours over the affected area * Moist heat application to relax the muscles * Local application of muscle relaxant gel You can continue taking tylenol as needed If your symptoms are not getting better with the above measures, I suggest you to consult an orthopaedic surgeon for further evaluation and management. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: Why am I having pain with most of the lower back movements after a fall? 1 hour later
How long is it reasonable to expect the condition to last? It is now 5 days with no improvement.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: 10- 15 days to heal. Detailed Answer: Hi, It generally takes 10- 15 days to heal the muscle strain and soft tissue injury.