Why am I having pain under rib cage and inflamed muscle in stomach?

I have a pain about on inch under my right rib. Not on the outside but almost in the middle of my body. About one inch over from middle. I don't have a gallbladder and its not my pancrease. It seems like a intense muscle spasm that is there worse when I bend or have bad posture and sitting makes it worse. It feels inflamed muscle and I can tighten my abdomen muscles and push on it and it hurts bad. Any ideas if a muscle can become inflamed there? If so what's the cause? Also had an endoscopy and stomach is fine, no ulcer.
Posted Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 4 hours later

Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.

Without a physical examination it is difficult to predict the cause of pain. However you have given a very nice and detailed explanation of your problem and the kind of pain you have described can occur due to the following reasons:
1) Musculo skeletal such as muscular ache and related to Spine bones - compression of a nerve root.
2) Renal or ureteric pain occurring because of an obstruction of the ureter, a tube connecting the kidney to the bladder. Normally it is a very severe pain.
3) Colitis, an inflammatory condition of the gut (colon) can also lead to such a problem.
Anterior abdominal wall muscle spasm might be the close possibility of there was an associated injury or fall. In the absence of injuries, we need to rule the other possibilities. Therefore it is advisable to get an ultrasonogram scan of the abdomen done. In addition X-ray or MRI of spine will help in ruling out back spine problems.

You can visit a surgeon for a careful abdominal examination. In the interim antiinflammatory analgescis like ibuprofen can be used for pain relief.

Hope I was able to address your concerns. I will happy to help you in case if you have any further queries.