Why am I having pain in heart?

I have a pain over my heart that comes and goes, but stays in the same location.I was wondering if I should go to the emergency room now?
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Hi friend

Welcome to Health Care Magic

Any pain at this age should be investigated as HEART PAIN – UNLESS PROVED OTHERWISE – especially so, in Diabetes (which is a risk factor for heart). In Diabetics, the presentation could be atypical, even misleading (at times, no pain!).
     In suspected heart attack, TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE – if detected early, an attack may even be aborted / the amount of damage and complications can be reduced remarkably. The most important time is the first few hours.

You have not said of any characteristics of the pain – pain from the heart is oppressing, in central chest (and left), worse on effort, may radiate to shoulders and arms, associated with sweating and so on. You have said one location – but not which location!

Better be safe than sorry - treated if a problem is found / Happy, if it turns out otherwise

Wishing you speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow-up: Why am I having pain in heart? 17 hours later
I did go to the hospital and they did a Cat Scan and EKG and found nothing. The pain has diminished significantly but is still there.

Thanks and God Bless

It is 'heartening' to know that ECG is normal / your heart has no problems.
A normal CAT scan excludes many important issues.

So, there is no cause for concern. Correct posture and mild exercise may benefit. Simple pain relievers for short time are useful (Strong ones have side effects)

All the best