Why am I having pain in chest and abdomen while inhaling?

Cardiologist
Question
i have a minor ache in my left side of the chest/breast area down to the left side of abdomen area when i inhale. Now the ache is in my cheeks. I haven't gone to the gym in almost a month. what could the problem be? is it a sign of any serious health problem? I took meds for heartburn, seems it got better but nw i have an ache in my cheeks
The ache when inhaling is gone after i took the heartburn med. but the ache in the cheeks are still there.
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence. To begin with the pain you described was not due to heart attack. The fact it got relieved with heart burn medications only supports the fact. Ache in cheeks, if your teeth and gum are healthy is not major issue. You can do gargles with warm saline water, it will get relieved. If you are getting regular chest pains then it could be gastro esophageal re flux disease (GERD) where in your stomach contents spill into your food pipe. Relief with heart burn medicines point towards it. When you XXXXXXX the doctor you can be prescribed medicines for it if you feel OTC medicines are not adequate.
You can do exercise like brisk walking for a duration of say 40 minutes per day, if you do not feel like to going to gym. If you are unable to perform exercises if that is the reason, I would urge you to see a doctor. Your doctor will do thorough physical examination. May be some laboratory test and will advise you about exercise. Coronary heart disease in 28 year old lady is rather uncommon but this is the right time when you can be assessed for risk profile. The information shall be useful in years and decades to come. Good Luck.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Why am I having pain in chest and abdomen while inhaling? 7 minutes later
The pain when inhaling is no longer there, but there wasn't pain the whole day until just now. like there's something stuck in my upper chest area. i've got a slight stuffed nose cuz there was a change of environment. it's colder where i came from. would any slight grogginess be any issue? I don't have asthma or any issue like that before. I used to exercise regularly until my work timing forbids me to do so. I also have been working swings these weeks.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 36 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
Stuffy nose, change in environment, atypical pain all point towards a viral illness. Try in addition to saline gargles, steam inhalation. Take OTC available Tylenol 500 mg after taking something to eat. A days rest will also help then you can take your concerns about exercise and risk factors for heart disease. A word of caution if you have fever or difficulty in breathing (shortness of breath) or wheeze while breathing (like asthma patients has) please consult a doctor on emergency basis. Otherwise wait till you are well enough and settled in the changed environment.

Dr Anil Grover

Follow-up: Why am I having pain in chest and abdomen while inhaling? 11 hours later
Theres this slight discomfort in my chest along with the ache in the cheeks n jaws. Plus i have giddiness and motion sickness when i travel in a car.its been for a few days now.

Thanks for writing back.
I have already written about pain in cheeks. There are some symptoms which are due to lack of acclimatization of your body to new environment which will settle.
Motion sickness if you get only when travelling on curvaceous road or hilly road is nothing uncommon. You can take OTC anti histaminie drugs which would be available. Take a tablet half an hour before travelling provided you are not driving. Essentially, I can not find any thing which should have raised suspicion of heart attack but follow the advice as in my first email. Make your self mentally strong. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover

Thank for your reply. But what if the pain in the chest is on the left side? I just need to clarify.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 44 minutes later
I appreciate your answer.
I wrote about chest pain that I do not think it is related to heart. To quote from my first mail "If you are getting regular chest pains then it could be gastro esophageal re flux disease (GERD) where in your stomach contents spill into your food pipe. Relief with heart burn medicines point towards it. When you XXXXXXX the doctor you can be prescribed medicines for it if you feel OTC medicines are not adequate. . XXXXXXX

If it is not related to heart putting yourself to stress because of it is not a wise thing to do. When you see a doctor, he/she will do thorough clinical examination and few laboratory tests that will confirm what I have been trying to communicate in our interaction. If you have further question you have you can ask, I have appreciated this interaction. Good Luck.

Regards.

Dr Anil Grover

Follow-up: Why am I having pain in chest and abdomen while inhaling? 2 days later
Hi. Thanks for the reply. However, is it normal if my heartrate while lying is 60-70, while walking it is 90 and Goes up to 110 while walking up a short flight of stairs. It also can go up while at rest. Meanwhile, i have a slight ache at the breast area near the armpit. It is on more on the left side. But sometimes it is the right. This has never happened to me before.I am wearing a heartrate monitor. Also my heart was pounding rather loudly while lying down.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 9 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Up to age -28 that is 192 your heart rate if increases on exercise of any sort that is normal. But if it goes beyond 140 without exertion like lying down that the monitor would record constitutes a cause for concern not panic. That can be treated. I guess you worry too much about things you ought to take in your stride. Please let me know results of heart monitoring. Regards

With Best Wishes

Anil Grover