Why am I having pain in breast, shoulder and back?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Having left lateral breast pain with left shoulder and left upper back pain had several ekgs. All negative. Along with all negative troponins
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 minutes later
From the symptoms that you have described, it seems to be Rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder impingement syndrome which causes irritation and inflammation of the rotator cuff and the bursa and hence pain.

It causes local swelling and tenderness in the front of the shoulder and initially it presents as minor pain but gradually it causes severe pain and loss of motion with pain in the upper back and surrounding areas.

You need to get an MRI scan done which is a sensitive test for such pains. An Orthopedician is the best person to be consulted.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.

If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical arthroscopic technique (kept as last resort).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Why am I having pain in breast, shoulder and back? 54 minutes later
This also causes pain down arm with arm asleep. And left lateral chest pain. Is that referred pain
Can this also cause pain down the arm with pins and needles sometimes and also cause left lateral upper chest pain. Is the above referred pain from the rotator cuff?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. It can cause a referred pain to the upper chest and arm. The tingling and numbness in the arm is likely to be due to a pinched nerve at the level of cervical spine. Doing cervical isometric exercises and taking methylcobalamin supplements will help in decreasing the symptoms.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.