Why am I having pain and swelling on hand? Feels like bad sprain pain

My hand has no injury, but it started aching like I strained it, now there's a large swelling on the back of my hand and there's worsening pain and it's getting harder to move my hand without discomfort. it feels like bad sprain pain. there are no visible bite marks.
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
Before getting to any conclusion we have to find out the cause of swelling that is finally causing the pain. As you have mentioned that there is no injury or XXXXXXX of any insect bite, even-though there some reasons like local infection and inflammation, allergic reactions etc. that can cause pain and swelling. Also it is not always necessary that insect bite marks is always present. Again it is possible that you have got strained your hand during sleep.

Now to get rid from the problem you have to follow certain steps:
1. Keep the hand or forearm elevated. Wear arm pouch sling.
2. Do active movements of the fingers as much as possible.
2. Take analgesic and anti-inflammatory drugs to reduce pain and swelling.
3. If the swelling site is itching than take Anti-histamine drugs like Cetirizine to get control over that.
4. If you feel any sign of infection like fever, raised local area temperature or worsen increase in the swelling than immediately consult your doctor and get a course of effective antibiotic.
5. Alarming signs that need emergency treatment are: Numbness of the fingers, discoloration of the nails or proximal part of finger (white or bluish) and worse swelling that unable you to move fingers.

In my opinion you must consult your doctor and get analgesic and anti-inflammatory drugs. A course of antibiotic can be taken if your doctor feels that it is needed.

Hope I have answered your query. Write back if you have any doubt or wants to tell me anything else. I will be happy to help you.

Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh