Why am I having itchy nipple?

Question
I am a male and have had an itchy nipple for three weeks. Why?
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 1 hour later

The causes can include one breast and numerous skin conditions, even if yet rarely is there a documented diagnosis and treatment for an itchy nipple. To give you the best overview I have decided to cover Here you have the most worrisome and most common causes:

Atopic Dermatitis (the most common cause), also known as eczema, with environmental triggers which can prompt this condition to flare up: dry skin; prolonged contact with water; dyes or scents added to skin products; environmental allergens such as cleaning products, wool, foam; stress.
Paget’s Disease is a rare form of breast cancer and is the least common cause of nipple symptoms, but it is the most worrisome. Paget's Disease is typically found in women between the ages of 50 and 60. There is a non-cancerous condition which can mimic Paget's Disease, called “erosive adenomatosis of the nipple”.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: Why am I having itchy nipple? 2 hours later
Should their be concern if there is soreness around the entire breast?

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 23 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

Should not be special concern only because there is soreness around the entire breast, knowing the fact that male breast cancer or Paget's disease is exceedingly rare. I would still recommend you a clinical breast exam and an ultrasound, just to be sure and to exclude any possibility.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD