Why am I having high refractory period after intercourse?

After intercourse, I have a high refractory period. I can get and sustain an erection only after about a day. My understanding is that at my age it should be closer to 15-30 minutes. I have no trouble in getting aroused and erect the first time.
Posted Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 9 minutes later

I understand your concern that is common among many youngsters. With regard to refractory period after orgasm, it can range anything from 20 min-2 days at your age. It depends on multiple factors like general health, stress at home & work place, level of stimulation and desire, hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol and other variables. You are a hypertensive as per your history and on antihypertensives.

Hence, I would suggest you not to worry about a refractory period of a day. You can try out adequate foreplay and stimulation exercises along with your partner if you desire a shorter refractory period. You can consider natural aphrodisiacs like walnut, almonds, greens and chocolates too. If you still feel it's a bother and you would prefer treatment for the same, then kindly message back so that I can suggest you accordingly.

Dr Sundar
Follow-up: Why am I having high refractory period after intercourse? 20 minutes later
Thank you doctor. While I am generally satisfied with having sex once a day, there are situations when my quality of life would be improved if my refractory period were shorter. I understand that the hormone prolactin causes refractory period, and this could be shortened by use of some inhibitors like cabergoline. I want to check if I can occasionally use cabergoline. I also want to check if I have high prolactin levels.
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up. I agree with you that hormone prolactin hampers sexual satisfaction and orgasm. You can check out your prolactin levels once. However, unless the prolactin is elevated, cabergoline is XXXXXXX to take.

I would rather suggest T.Sildenafil around 3-4 tabs/wk that can be taken around 1 hour before the sexual act to sustain erection. This can be taken after a consultation with your family physician.

Hope you find my suggestions useful for a satisfactory sexual life.

Dr Sundar
Follow-up: Why am I having high refractory period after intercourse? 2 days later
Can I just go to a GP to get sildenafil prescribed, or do I need to go to a sexologist? I also have borderline low testosterone (289). I am uploading a full set of health check up test results, along with a prolactin and testosterone results.
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 hours later
I went through all your reports. Nothing alarming. Testosterone is on the lower normal range. However, you need to remember that it is a fluctuant hormone and is dependent on level of stress, time when blood sample was drawn etc. Sildenafil can be prescribed even by a general practitioner. Just remember the instructions with respect to sildenafil (i.e 1 hour prior to the sexual act). Again wish you a satisfactory sexual life.
Dr Sundar