Why am I having headache and urge to vomit?

General Surgeon
since past two days, i am having following problem: a very strong urge to vomit, actual vomiting is not happening. once i tried hard to vomit but ended up in putting out lemon juice i had few minutes ago. another issue is frequent rest room visits in morning, stool are perfactly fine, nothing likr diarrhea, just number of visits has incresed. lastly is mild headache. male, 28.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 49 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

In such young age the most probable reason of such urge to vomit is acid reflux disease, peptic ulcers, gallstones or stress. Sometimes chronic kidneys disease or low blood sugar level can cause such symptoms. Brain and XXXXXXX ear diseases can also give such symptoms.
If you have had any chest burning, stomach aches (not necessary), cough, acid relfux or peptic ulcers are possible.
Frequent urinating makes kidneys disease more probable. Any increased thirsty makes hyperglyceamia possible.
Vertigo, blurred vision points to brain or XXXXXXX ear problem.
I suggest you to have some diagnostics. You should try with blood work, urine, creatine, blood sugar level, abdominal ultrasound and upper GI endoscopy.
If no findings, you should visit neurologist.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Why am I having headache and urge to vomit? 19 hours later
thanks doctor, its been three days now. i was shifting home to new place. meanwhile my baby fell off the bad. baby is alright. but in totality i was less on food, less on sleep, less on water and more on stress from last few days.

what is not happening:
● no frequent urinating
● no vertigo or blurred vision
● no chest burning
● no stomach aches
● no fever, no cold

what is happening during morning 6 to 11:
● strong urge of vomiting but no actual vomiting
● bm movements are 3 times but no sign of dierrhea
● mild headache
● complete loss of apetite

what is happening in rest of day:
● complete loss of apetite
● feels ok. like i was not ill at all.

i visited local physcian(gaestro) yesterday. no tests were carried out. he diagnised "infective entritis" after hearing symptoms only. not sure how accurate. following medicine has been priscribed:
esomeprazole magnesium tablet 40mg. once a day before breakfast
● satranidazole 300mg & ofloxacin 200mg tablet. twice a day after food
● prebiotic & postbiotic capsule. twice a day after food
domperidone 10mg tablet. twice a day before food

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 hours later

So stress seems most probable reason if you do associate it with recent stress. Infective enteritis would give diarrhea and fever. This symptoms are very characteristic for it. Moreover, usually nausea and vomiting appears. So it is some kind of less possible diagnose (however possible). But your doctor has prescribed you medicines not only for enteritis:
- esomeprasole is for acid reflux and peptic ulcers
- satranidazole and ofloxacine are antibiotics for bacterial intestines infection
- prebiotic and postbiotic contains intestinal bacteria and can be used in every digestive tract disease
- domperidone is antivomiting medicine
So you have been prescribed for many conditions, what only tell that doctor wasnt sure about the reason. And this is fine as you never know exact reason if it is about abdomen. All this medicines should make you feel better so you should use them as prescribed.
However if the reason is stress, you may find them ineffective. I suggest you to add also Magnesium 400 mg once a day supplementation. If this treatment wont give any relief, you should than visit your doctor again and have mentioned before tests performed.

Hope this will help.