Why am I having dizziness, eye auras with twirling lights and headaches?

Nov 2013

My 28 year old daughter started having headaches in Sept, that went away and then followed by dizziness, joint pain, eye auras with twirling lights and tingling in the hands and feet. She has had lots of blood work, lyme disease testing which she test positive in the first part, but negative in the western block part, and a normal MRI. We were in Mass, in September where she was stung by a bee that left a large bulleyes ring and the stinger was in for several weeks without her knowlege - worried that it could have had lyme, but the tests are negative. Any thoughts?
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Thank you for posting your query. First of all, I would like to reassure you that your daughter's symptoms do not represent any serious neurological disease. Most likely, there is no active Lyme disease at present, as the tests are negative. Normal MRI brain also rules out other serious conditions such as brain tumor, brain infections, venous thrombosis in brain, etc. So, at this stage, the most likely cause for her symptoms could be migraine with vertigo. For relief of symptoms, she can take diclofenac or ibuprofen tablets (for pain relief) and betahistine (for relief of dizziness). To prevent recurrence of headaches, she can be started on topiramate, beta blockers or divalproex tablets. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: