Why am I having difficulty in concentrating?

All my life I've always had a hard time with concentration, when it comes to school and work. Lately it's taking a toll on my work. Inability to finish tasks and really focus. I've had friends with same issues and have gotten medication to help with this issue. Reaching out to you to see if there is anything you can do or help.
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be a case of ADHD Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. The symptoms that you have stated suggest that you could be a case of ADHD. The symptoms have to be from childhood with history getting confirmed from your parents. The symptoms of hyperactivity settle down with age and attention deficit symptoms persist. Probably that is what you are facing right now. I understand how troublesome your condition is. Yes medicines do help. Methylphenidate and bupropion are two drugs which will be effective in your condition. These drugs have to be taken mostly for whole of the life. The improvement occurs very fast with medications. Unfortunately health care magic being an online forum, I wont be able to prescribe you medicines with out physically examining you. However you may contact your local psychiatrist and discuss these medicines with him who would be happy enough to help you with a valid prescription. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.