Why am I having dark skin on ankle compare to rest part of body?

Both my right and left ankle are extremely dark and the skin is leathery. Why?
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 18 minutes later
Hello ma'am and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

From your presentation, there are quite a few possibilities, which I shall list in order of their likelihood:
-Eczema (most likely; symptoms: itching before the rash appears, dry thickened skin, when scratched the dry skin can open and appearance of crusts may be seen)
-Insect bites
-Excessive melanin accumulation
-Drug reactions (as you are not on any medications, we can rule this out)
-Exposure to UV rays/light

Do let me know if this region around your ankles is/was itchy? And if it still is, does it bleed on scratching?

I would advice you to visit a doctor for an elaborate physical examination and accordingly the treatment. Treatment for eczema includes using mild soaps and moisturizers, reduced stress, warm showers and medications (eg. hydrocortisone creams, anti-histamine medication, etc.)

I hope you found my response helpful. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Why am I having dark skin on ankle compare to rest part of body? 5 minutes later
Well I've had this for a long time (i.e. since I was a teenager) and it very rarely itches. Also, whether it is cold or hot my ankles are still very black. Does that impact your response to what may be causing this?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 7 minutes later
Hello ma'am.

Thank you for that information.

Well the only impact your response had was to narrow down the list. The most likely possibilities now are:
-Excessive melanin accumulation
-Excessive exposure to UV light

All these conditions are easily treatable. Although treatment is time consuming, a good response is achieved in most patients. An ointment containing clobetasol propionate and salicylic acid would greatly help. If you could consult your doctor and initiate a course of this locally applying ointment, I am sure you will experience a good response soon.

Wishing you lots of luck and a beautiful life ahead.
Best wishes.