Why am I having chest pain after smoking?

Left chest pain after smoking. I have been smoking for about 8 months maybe a pack every two weeks . Recently i have been getting really bad chest pain in my left side. A XXXXXXX ache that last for a couple days then goes away and i feel fine until i smoke again. I am quitting now obiviously haha
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Smoking is a possible cause of chest pain. It increases the heart rate and blood pressure (because it causes the blood vessels to contract leading to increase pressure). Because of this, the work load of the heart increases. In some persons this increased work load can result in pain.

There are other possible cause for chest pain. Chest pain can result from any structure in the chest, from the skin inwards.
Infections in the skin such as herpes zoster can cause pain.
Pain can also occur due to inflammation of the muscles and joints in the chest.This is a common cause of chest pain, in this case the pain is usually worse with movement.
Pain can also result with problems related to the lungs such as infection, inflammation of the lining of the lung (called pleuritis-this pain usually worse on taking a XXXXXXX breath or coughing), collapse of part of the lung or blockage (these two usually associated with shortness of breath)

The heart , as mentioned earlier is also a source of pain.
Heart related pain can be diagnosed based on history , examination and investigations such as ECG which may show evidence such as reduced blood supply in some areas.It also gives information on the size of the heart, the heart rate and its rhythm.
You may want to consider, if possible, visiting your doctor for an assessment.

Since the pain occurs with smoking, it would be best, if possible, to quit.
This can be difficult to do on your own, if this is the case you may need to use a form of nicotine replacement. It can come in different forms such as patch, gum , tablet or spray.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions