Why am I having black eye due to rupture of lump at the base of my eyelid?

I woke up and had a small lump that seemed to be a blood vessels. When I rubbed my eyes it broke and now I have a small "black eye". I don't have high blood pressure. What would cause this? Thanks
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen 2 hours later
Brief Answer: I would say it's due to an insect bite Detailed Answer: Hello.Thanks for writing on XXXXXXX I would say the most common reason for this is an insect bite. However, I would like to know some more details. What is the exact location of the lump? What is the size of the lump? Is it outside the eye? Do you have pain/ itching? Is it bleeding still? This is unlikely to be due to high blood pressure.Donot panic. Keep me posted. Thanks.
Follow-up: Why am I having black eye due to rupture of lump at the base of my eyelid? 16 hours later
Hello, Thank you for the response. The lump was at the base of my lower eyelid, where the eyelid starts to meet my nose. In the corner of my eye. It was small about 1/8" diameter. When it "popped" it was all under the skin. There was no redness or anything. It was for sure a blood vessel. It looked like a blood blister under my skin but was soft. When I rubbed it dispearsed under the skin and the black and blue area is about 1/2" dia. I would guess the vessel just broke for some reason. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Donot pop or rub on blemish Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for writing me back. The blister would have happened during sleep due to some reason & is incidental. I would ask not to pop or rub on blemish.Your black eye will subside spontaneously within one or two week as the blood gets resorbed.This does not require any medicine absolutely. If you donot have such lesions anywhere on your body then you need not worry. Hope this helps.