Why am I having bad breath and throat pain?

ENT Specialist
Hi! My throat has been hurting for a few months ago until now, and also I have bad breath too. So what is happening to me? Can you help me that?
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Your throat is probably hurting due to a post nasal drip secondary to a chronic sinusitis. The source of the mucus is the nasal cavity and sinuses, which have a large XXXXXXX surface area and can produce a large amount of mucus. This post nasal drip irritates and infects the throat.

2. You need to get an ENT Specialist to examine your nose and throat, sometimes with a videolaryngoscope. A throat swab may be taken for culture and antibiotic sensitivity. A plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) and routine blood tests may be advised.

3. A coated tongue may be due to poor oral hygiene, dehydration, post nasal drip, acid reflux, indigestion, fungal infections, smoking and so on.

4. Halitosis (bad breath) may be a result of the coated tongue and sinusitis. Treatment of these will reduce or eliminate the bad breath.

5. You may require candid mouth paint, broad spectrum antibiotics, anti inflammatory medication, anti-allergics, decongestants, mucolytics steroid nasal sprays, medicated gargles and steam inhalation. All his should be done under medical supervision. You must avoid exposure to tobacco and alcohol.

6. A Post Nasal drip also infects the throat and oral cavity and may increase acidity and acid reflux. Hence there may be a vicious cycle which has to be disrupted by medication. However this should be under medical supervision after your test results.

7. You may share any investigations and CT PNS (Para Nasal SInuses) Scan images for further treatment options.

I must emphasize that this is a common treatable problem and not a cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.