Why am I having back pain and side pain while moving?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am having all over back pain and side pain on both sides. Very tender to the touch... I have been told that it might be gynocological- I have my doubts. My husband thinks I have been sleeping wrong. My urine is a good color and the pain is not crampy or sharp, but dull and mostly when I move.
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pain on movement suggest pain due to spinal path. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Gynaecological reasons may also lead to back pain but first you need to correct structural problems if they are present.Pain on movement suggest pain due to spinal pathology. When such patient comes to my hospital we usually take x ray spine or if required MRI to see for any nerve compression. Medication like methylcobalamine and analgesic will reduce pain; you can take them consulting your treating doctor. Some exercises which can be done after pain has reduced include- Spine extension exercises, lying on your stomach flat lift leg 6 inches from ground, do it for other leg. Now lift both hand and leg simultaneously, 6 inch off the ground and stay Position for around 10 breathes. Core stabilizing spine exercises will help. You may consult physiotherapist for further guidance. He may start TENS, or ultrasound which is helpful in your case. Some life style modifications to prevent pain– Take break every 40 min from work and do some lumbar rotation, stretches, walk and get back to work. Sit with taking support to your back, and good posture in bed which may also aggravate pain. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Take care.