Why am I having anxiety due to low confidence in driving?

I passed my driving test nearly 7 months ago and I'm not feeling confident at all. It's giving me really bad anxiety. I can't sleep so I'm tired as well which doesn't help. Any ideas on what I can do?
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for sending in your query. Since it has been 7 months that you have passed your test, you are legally qualified at driving. Anxiety in the initial stages of driving is common and can be overcome by taking a step by step approach. In the beginning you must know the controls in your car and always follow safety instructions. You may start by driving around empty roads and lanes around your house taking care to avoid areas where there are children or crowds. Then once you are familiar with controlling your car, you may ask your close friends to accompany you on short stretches and helping you navigate through. You should take to driving your car in the mornings when your mind is relaxed and you are mentally refreshed. This will allow you to concentrate better. Hope your query is answered. Dr.A.Rao Kavoor