Why am I having an anxious feeling in my chest and stomach while trying to sleep?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hello, I have a strange problem with my heart randomly beating very rapidly and getting an incredibly anxious feeling in my chest and stomach when I am trying to fall asleep, or I wake up in the middle of the night because of it. I have very vivid dreams every night that I remember in detail when I wake up, so I know it is not nightmares. Sometimes the symptoms last for a few minutes, sometimes hours to the point where I throw up from nausea. I do not have anxiety issues, never have, and I do not have anything stressful in my life that would trigger anxiety attacks. These episodes have happened since I was a teenager. Sometimes it won't happen for months, but lately, they have been happening often. I know I should see a doctor, but I was wondering if this is a common problem that can be easily identified and treated.
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I read your query and understood your concern. From what you are describing it looks more like sleep disorder problems accompanied with anxiety, tachycardia or palpitation and chest pain. However for proper diagnosis i suggest first to see a cardiologist. Also ECG, heart ECHO, Holter monitoring and chest x ray should be done. If everything is ok than you should consult a psychologist for further exams and proper treatment for your problem (sleep disorder). Hope i answered to your query. Dr. Sonila