Why am I getting white clumps during bowel movement ?

I have had problems for years with constipation. Lately I have little white clumps coming out during bowel movement. I do have a rectal seal. Lately, I get nauseous.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Constipation
Follow-up: Why am I getting white clumps during bowel movement ? 25 hours later
I have had a live birth in '79. Thyroid nodule removed in 83. Non Cancerous. On Synthroid since. Had three foot surgeries between 2004 and 05 for a Lis' Frac fracture. In 2009 I had a wedge removed from my lung to biopsy a mass. It turned out to be organizing pneumonia. Uterine Ablation in 2004.

My medications are Lotensin, Synthroid, Ativan, Lexapro, Lacictal, Omperozole, Aplenziin and Glumetza.

Since I asked the question yesterday I still have not had a bowel movement and I took 4 ex-lax yesterday, suppository today, and 4 more ex-lax. Had to cancel plans. I feel very agitated. I know if I go to Er they will give me something stronger and then send me home.

I think I have mentioned that I am under a Gastroterologists care for years now. As I said 2 of my three colonooscopies I had to come back because I was not cleaned out. I have acid reflux and am due soon for a scope down my throat and stomach.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Banait 17 hours later
Hi ,

I would like to know some more details of your problem to answer you better,

1) Is your toilet time prolonged : Do you strain on stool more or try to evacuate the rectum manually with fingers ?

2) Did/do you consume NSAIDs ( Pain killers ) for the pain in the foot ?

3) Have you got your Thyroid hormone levels estimated in near recent ? If yes, do share the report with me.

4) Are you a diabetic or hypertensive , If yes since when ?

Anticipating your response.

Follow-up: Why am I getting white clumps during bowel movement ? 9 hours later
My main concern was not being able to have a bowel movement for 5 days. I am following up with my endocrinologist is a few weeks.

After using ex-lax, ducolax, suppositories I finally had to do an enema.

I feel like someone punched me in the stomach and have pains on both sides that radiates around to the back.

I was also wondering why once in a while I have white clumps being released.

About the question of of manually evacuation, I have been to therapy and do what was suggested,

I also worry that I have been getting naesous (sp?) once a awhile.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Banait 8 hours later

Thank you for the reply. You have following reasons for getting constipated.
1. Hypothyroidism : if not adequately treated can have constipation.
2. Aplenziin: can have constiation as a side effect.
3. Rectocoel

As you are on lactitol, I presume you are having CONSTIPATION for long. It is worthwhile to know whether constipation is slow or normal transit by colonic transit studies. Slow transit constipation is associated with prolonged colonic transit and infrequent defecation. The options for treatment include enemas to clear fecoliths and then polyethelene glycol and other stimulant laxatives. Surgeries may be considered in this type.

Normal transit constipation on the contrary is associated with behavioural and psychiatric problems. As I understand, you are on anti-depressants. Your doctor might be addressing a normal transit constipation. Moreover, antidepressants are also associated with constipation as a side effect.

You have rectocoel. It may produce what is known as obstructed defecation. The surgical treatment of rectocoel may help.

Now about white clumps. It may be mucous. Sometimes enteric coated tablets are passed down and look white. Get it examined.

With adequate treatment, most patients benefit. Have faith. I wish you good health.

Dr Vaibhav Banait