Why am I getting tears in eye and runny nose while sitting in front of computer?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi, I've noticed that my right eye tears up quickly when I'm in front of a computer screen for a few hours; in addition, when my nose runs, it's mainly out of my right nostril. I'd like to know what might be the cause of those symptoms and the pattern on the right side. Thanks!
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
The cause of eye strain and tears in your case could be most probably due to the harmful effects of excessive computer screen usage ( computer vision syndrome ) .
However considering the right side involvement predominantly you need to get yourself evaluated by your doctor to rule out Dacryocystorhinitis or inflammation of the nasolacrimal duct on the right side. This is a bony and soft tissue channel connecting the eyes and the nose for drainage of tears . If it is partially blocked or inflammed or infected then it can give rise to such symptoms like excessive lacrimation or rhinitis on that side.
So please do get yourself evaluated by your doctor or an ophthalmic surgeon ( preferable ) for confirmation of the diagnosis and appropriate management .
Sometimes a problem of the nasal passages like turbinate hypertrophy or deviated nasal septum too can cause such symptoms so it's best to find the root cause by a thorough evaluation and then get appropriate treatment .
Hope I have answered your query .
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Follow-up: Why am I getting tears in eye and runny nose while sitting in front of computer? 1 hour later

Thanks very much for the information. I'll get myself checked out soon.

Best regards,
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
You are most welcome to clear any further doubts.
It's my pleasure to provide you appropriate information.
In case you have no further queries kindly press the accept button to close the query.