Why am I getting stomachache and loose stool after taking simvastatin?

Hello, I just started taking Simvastatin this week and I have had a stomach ache the entire week in addition to loose stools. Today I dosage and was drinking a diet Mt Dew and now I feel real hot with the same stomach pain and in addition my back is aching as are my pec muscles like I have spams. Also real dry mouth. Anything I should be concerned about or normal with med?
Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 21 minutes later

Simvastatin is known to cause muscle aches and pain. Some patients can have additional symptoms as you have described. You should stop the medications for a few days and get these blood tests:

1. Total CPK
2. Liver functions tests

If the above tests are normal you can continue with the medication. If simvastatin is a problem you can switch to Rosuvastatin which has much better effects with much less side effects.

Hope this helps

Dr. Om Lakhani
Consultant Diabetologist
WWW.WWWW.WW (online expert diabetes care consultantion)
Follow-up: Why am I getting stomachache and loose stool after taking simvastatin? 5 minutes later
Ok I have a Dr. App tomorrow so will request these tests. Just thought I might be having XXXXXXX side effect. Also didn't know if Diet mt Dew had grapefruit and might be why I'm feeling so hot and cold.
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 16 minutes later

Hope the answer was helpful. Grapefruit can cause some unusual symptoms for some people, however the muscle pains point to simvastatin effect.

Hope this helps

Dr. Om