Why am I getting postive pregnancy test after an abortion?

Sep 2012

Hi, i had a complete clean up after taking abortion pills on 1st December. Did a transvaginal scan to check if any tissues were left. the test declared that my pregnancy was completely terminated . the same evening i took a pregnancy test and it came back slightly positive or mayb it was strongly positive. i dont really remember. how is that possible . Also i was 5 weeks pregnant when i had my abortion and my last period was somewhere around 22nd of October. When would i likely to have my periods back ?
Posted Tue, 25 Dec 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for posting a question.

Firstly, during pregnancy, the human chorionic gonadotropin hormone ( BETA HCG) is increased. In pregnancy kit test it detects this increased BETA HCG level in urine.

As you were on your 5th week of pregnancy, the BETA HCG is increased. Now, the abortion pills leads to complete abortion. This abrupt abortion does not lower the BETA HCG level acutely. It will take some times like 7 to 10 days to come back to lower level.

So, for a better interpretation, you have to repeat the test after 10 days.

As you have taken abortive pills which contains hormonal agents, it may leads to menstrual irregularities. But, this bleeding due to abortion should be taken as a period, and the next period should be after normal interval depending on your menstrual cycle. But as I told previously, it may be delayed due to hormonal pills. So, you have to wait for 30 to 40 days to get a normal period.

Hope, this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.