Why am I getting painless throbbing sensation on side of calf?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Lately, at night, I get a painless throbbing sensation on the side of my calf. Left leg. Always the same place, always painless, but like bubbles are bursting in my vein...
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later

Usually a vein protrudes or pulses because of increased blood flow to the area. This can include physical activity and it doesn't necessarily have to be strenuous.

Second thing might be varicose veins, they can throb and are fairly benign.

Third possibility might be muscle spasm as they can appear as a throbbing vein.

I advice you to consult an orthopadician nearby for detailed examination and take his/her advice to put your mind at rest but I think you'll find that it really is nothing serious.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health....