Why am I getting pain on the lower part of thumb and wrist?

Question
it is painful to touch the skin on the lower part of my thumb and wrist - possibly on the blue vein extending down from the base of the thumb, through the hand and past the wrist. my email address is YYYY@YYYY

Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX

Thanks for the query

The pain distributing through the thumb and wrist is the area of the ulnar nerve which possible have got pressure unnoticed by you. However if the swelling of hand develops then it is more suggestive of compartment syndrome

This sort of symptoms also develop due to excessive working like constant typing or chopping with knife or exertion however, a small duration rest and topical analgesics will relieve the symptoms

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks

Follow-up: Why am I getting pain on the lower part of thumb and wrist? 20 hours later
i forgot to mention it is on the top of my thumb/hand/wrist and over the past three weeks I had two personal training sessions that involved push-ups :) - would that alter your advice?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 5 hours later
Hi
Thanks for the reply

These are the areas of nerve distribution i already told you. however the advice is the same, that is do not apply pressure on the hand for at lest two weeks. rest is of much more importance than medication, hope you understand it

Thanks