Why am I getting pain in back and abdomen?

General Surgeon
Hi. my name is XXXXXX, sometimes I hurt on the right side of my back, like at the rib and then it goes to the front of my stomach.
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Upper right abdominal pain radiating to the back is most likely caused by gallstones. The pain usually appears after a fatty foods, spicy foods or alcohol intake. Nausea can be also present.
Other possible reasons of such pain are pancreas disease, spine disc herniation, rib nerves irritation, muscular pain.
I suggest you to have some diagnostics. You should start with blood work, liver tests, amylase and abdominal ultrasound. If the gallstones will be present, laparoscopic surgery is necessary.
In a meantime you should avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods and alcohol intake.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.