Why am I getting pain and electric sensation after having intercourse?

Mar 2013
Hello my husband and I just finished having intercostal and for the third time in the space of the year are both in pain. I thought at first only I could feel it but he can do it feels like we are being electric shocked, there is not a lack of moisture down there when we have intercoarse but it most definitely hurts and tingles for some time after. There are no other symptoms to report
Posted Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Hi there.

Painful intercourse is pain or discomfort in the genitals during or after sexual intercourse. The pain may be described as a raw sensation or as a burning, itching or stinging feeling. Painful intercourse is medically known as dyspareunia, in medical terms.

The causes of painful intercourse vary widely among individuals. One of the most common is pain or discomfort in the vulva (vulvodynia), which may be due to skin irritation from rashes or household chemicals.
This seems more likely since both you and your partner are suffering from the same symptoms. Also, it could be in response to a lubricating jelly/ other local ointment / spermicidal jelly that is used sporadically. Condom allergy might manifest in this way if you occasionally use condoms or other barrier methods like vaginal diaphragm etc.

Painful intercourse may also occur if you have experienced any damage or injury to any of the external structures of the vulva (the genitals) or to the XXXXXXX sexual organs, such as the vagina, cervix, ovaries or uterus, however it wont cause irritation to both.

Further, recurring infections, such as vaginal yeast infections or sexually transmitted diseases, can be associated with painful intercourse. This is a leading cause for both of the partners to experience discomfort, burning etc.

Sometimes, psychological causes such as depression, stress, frustration, inadequate sex drive or inadequate arousal might lead to it.

Painful intercourse may accompany symptoms related to other body systems including:
Difficult or painful urination, or burning with urination - if there is associated urinary infection
Fever and chills in case of severe infection
Infertility - sometimes pelvic inflammatory disease causes this.
Nerve problems that cause pain, numbness or tingling - part of generalized neural disorders.
Rashes in other areas of the body

Dyspareunia can be treated by making some simple lifestyle changes. Open communication between you and your partner about what might be causing your pain or discomfort can make a world of difference. Quitting bad habits like smoking and excessive alcohol consumption will only benefit your sexual experience. A healthy diet and regular exercise are also often overlooked, but key factors in an optimal sex life. To rule out genital infections in either of you, please get a physical examination by a gynecologist for yourself, and by an XXXXXXX for your partner. They would rule out local causes of infection, and advise tests for further confirmation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.