Why am I getting needle like pain after gallbladder surgery?

General Surgeon
I had gallbladder Surgery two months ago, I continue to have this needle like pain on the right side of my back over my rib cage and sometimes under my rib cage again by in the front. It seems to wrap around my right side, cant figure out what it is.
Posted Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms can be caused by bile duct stones, urinary tract stones/infection, intercostal neuralgia. Sometimes such pain can be normal after gallbladder removal as bile ducts needs get used to increased bile pressure as there is no gallbladder. It can last for about 3 months.
Bile duct stones can cause such pain which radiates to the back and worsens after a meal. Nausea can be present as well.
Urinary tract stones/infection gives burning when urinating, frequent urinating.
Intercostal neuralgia is caused by rib nerves irritation. It causes needle like pain, which disappears while not breathing and aggravates when chest is moving.
You should have some tests to make sure what is the reason.
Abdominal ultrasound, full blood work with liver tests (AST,ALT and GGTP), amylase, CRP, magnesium level, clacium level and urine analysis should be performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.