Why am I getting mild prickly feeling in chest?

Some times i get a very mild prickly feeling in my chest on left side and some times on right side and then it goes away and comes back; no heaviness; able to climb stairs for 3 floors wo any problems; of course gas is there
Posted Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Aslam Lalani 33 minutes later

Thanks for the query. I went through the details in your query and my comments are as follows:

1. The pain you describe is not suggestive of a heart related pain. As you are able to climb stairs easily for 3 floors without any problems, it is almost certain that you do not have any heart related problem.

2. The pain you described also does not suggest a serious organic problem. As you have underlying IBS with reflux and gas related problem, I feel your present problem is more likely to be related to that. And it should settle down with a few lifestyle changes.

3. Some modifications I suggest to a 52 year male with underlying gas, reflux and ibs related problem are as follows:
- Take good quantity of fresh fruits, fresh XXXXXXX leafy vegetables
- Take whole grain food like brown bread, brown rice, whole wheat,
- Avoid saturated food item like fried food, ghee, butter, red meat, organ meat like liver, kidney and seafood like prawns, crabs, egg yellow if you are non-vegetarian.
- Avoid bakery foods, fried food, sweets, and ice cream.
- Take low fat dairy foods like skimmed milk, low fat yogurt, and low fat cheese.
- Regular walking ,
- Say Big NO to any addiction and avoid alcohol.
- Do not sleep immediately after food ,
- Avoid carbonated drinks ,
- Take proper sleep and rest.

You may consider consulting a gastroenterologist to evaluate your current ailment and prescribe other drugs if symptoms are troubling and persisting.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.