Why am I getting long periods?

May 2013
Hi I have had my period for 9 days now, it started on time, but I am still experiencing light bleeding and it doesn't seem to be tapering off. My period normally only lasts 4 - 5 days. thanks
Posted Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 21 minutes later

Occasionally menstrual irregularities can be seen due to hormonal fluctuation.
As this is first time you are experiencing this type of problem, symptomatic therapy is enough.
So once consult gynecologist and take tablets like anti-fibrinolytics to stop the bleeding.
If this repeats in future cycles better to go for further testing like ultrasound examination, hormonal assay etc.
By this the possible cause of the problem can be noted and treatment can be given accordingly.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.