Why am I getting high SGPT and SGOT level after malaria?

Sep 2012

hi doctor i m XXXXXXX 23 yrs 5 10 and 95 kg had got malaria on 1st september but fever went in two days, cbc test showed all good my doctor prescribed me udiliv 300 phospholip tf and beplex forte and visco syrup to reduce sgpt and sgot levels but my level came down to double figures and then again increased cbc test showed normal sgpt increased to 168 this reducing and increasing continued for 3-4 times my doc still prescribed the same medicines, then i took ayurvedic medicine to be taken on empty stomach in the morning and continued the prescibed medicines from last one month and level started decreasing fast abt 25 to 30 points per week but now this week when i did lft and cbc sgpt has incresed to 132 again and sgot 73 and direct bilirubin is high globulin is high and eosinophils r high experincing pain occasionally just below rib cage and both sides in the abdomen n when i m at home my urine colour is normal but when i go out and come it gets dark yellow from two months i am eating plain boiled food doctor please advice the ways i can be fit again as i have to resume to work
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later

Firstly, after malaria there may be some liver damage which causes increased SGPT and SGOT levels.

Increased globulin itself does not have any independent importance. But, it has to be compare with albumin level. If albumin: globulin ratio is altered, then it definitely indicates a hepatocellular injury.

Now, this increased SGPT and SGOT level will take few more days to come down to normal level.

You have to follow the following things:
1. Follow the bland diet.
2. Don’t take any outside food or water.
3. Take the liver protecting drugs as prescribed by your doctor.
4. Do an Elisa test for Hepatitis B Surface antigen.
5. Do an ultrasound scan of whole abdomen.
6. Consult with a gastroenterologist if the enzymes do not comes down to the normal level after 3 months for further investigation and management.

Hope you have got your answer.

Let me know if you have any more question.